The Life Of A Student Nurse....

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The day before...

Okay, I want to know whose bright idea it was to have the least fortunate students (which by that i mean, have to rely on grants or student loans to get through college) have to wait until the day before school starts to get their books, syllabi, etc. I'm telling you it was a disaster! First of all, the bookstore changed the entrance, so we could not go in the "back door". So, if something was forgotten after a purchase, we (or I in this instance) had to walk back outside to go into the "front door". Okay, how much did that suck??? Well, quite frankly....ALOT!! I had to complete that cycle 3 times!! It probably did not pose such a problem for those students that have a better memory than I, but I don't care about those people! (just kidding) It was such a huge hassle to have to walk around the gym/bookstore, but after all of that......I finally got everything! Oops, I'm lying...I remembered this on the way home. I forgot to pick up my uniform. That is a very important item even though we don't need it quite yet, it is still very important.

Thankfully, we made it out alive today! WHEW, but it was a close one!

The new building is finally complete (see last post for picture), so my husband, a friend and myself took a self -guided tour. It is so beautiful! As you enter the front double doors, you enter the foyer complete with marble floors and a brass insignia of our school patch (nursing) inlaid in the marble. If you look up you will see cast iron carriage lights lining the hallways, cherry or chestnut wood ( not sure which) paneled walls/crown molding. Beautiful I tell you!

If I can get my digital camera to stop acting up, I shall take some pictures and post them for you.

I better get going....I have sooo much reading to do before class in the morning. Oh, by the way - why does class have to start at 8am??? I am a night person! What's the saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ....we'll see.

Later folks,

1 Comments:

  • Hey Kristi, I think a lot of nursing schools don't start in the hospital right away, so it's not abnormal to wait until October. I think our program is a lot different from many other programs. For one, we stay at ONE hospital throughout the entire program, as opposed to moving from hospital to hospital each semester. Also, we're each paired up with a nurse at the start of the semester. The cool thing is that we're at a magnet hospital, so they make sure the nurses actually want to have students. It rocks.
    On fridays we have lab at school where we practice skills and then on Wed, we're in the hospital doing those skills.
    I guess this system has worked well for my school because they said we have the highest NCLEX pass rate in the state.

    By Blogger Raspberry Stethoscope, at Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home