The Life Of A Student Nurse....

Thursday, September 07, 2006

What a day!

I didn't realize it had been so long since my last post. I've been super busy since school started! Reading, reading and more reading!! I knew there would be alot to do and learn in nursing school, but really.....I had NO idea!! I am exaggerating a little bit, but I have been reading a lot lately.

Our fundamentals class has been just that....the basics of nursing. The lovely bed bath, bedpan (honestly, I'm not looking forward to that, but I know that patients/clients (pc) are not looking forward to having to use one, so I can deal if they can), and the ever challenging ambulation of patients. Oh, this is funny.....on our first lab day our instructor was showing us how to "correctly" perform this skill. She proceeded to show us how to correctly position our feet to protect the client in case the client passed out/fainted. One of the students volunteered and she asked her to pretend to faint and she would show us how to let her slide down her (instructors) leg and gently lay her (student) on the floor. The student starts to go down and my instructor does everything she is supposed to then all of the sudden......bang! On the floor they go! Both of them fell and I mean HARD!! Of course the whole class started laughing, but thankfully neither one of them were hurt. Then my instructor says "this is why you don't wear heels when you work in a hospital". Apparently, my instructor's shoe slid on the floor as the student put her weight on her. She was finally able to show us the correct way after she took her shoes off.

We had our first check off today. If you know any nursing students or are actually one yourself, you will know exactly what I mean when I say "anxiety". Did any of you other nursing students want to take a Xanax as much as I wanted to today?? I don't know if I have ever had that much anxiety in my life!! The whole day in class yesterday, the instructors kept saying "Be prepared. Don't think we won't send you out of the room if you can't perform these skills!". Did I mention my anxiety level?? Holy Crap! I came home and proceeded to practice on my husband....(by the way, he's been very supportive and didn't mind the bed bath....lol). When I got to class this morning, I walked in the lecture hall to see several of my fellow nursing students practicing on each other. It was funny to see, but I was thankful to see I wasn't the only one with an anxiety problem! Suffice it to say that I made it through with flying colors today. The key is just to relax and use your common sense. That is basically what nursing is. All we have to do is treat our patients the way we would want our loved ones or ourselves treated. It's very simple. Treat them with the utmost respect. They are in the hospital and some of them are very sick maybe even dying. They don't want to have a bath given to them by a stranger, nor do they want to use a bedpan instead of using the toilet. Just give them respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home