The Life Of A Student Nurse....

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My very first day.....

As of today, school is over! I am soooo glad. I really need a break about now. Oh, and I just started my new job at a local hospital. The break from school comes at a good time so I can focus on getting used to the routine at work.
My first night at work was last night and let me tell you it was very exciting! Let me tell you what happened......keep this in mind as I tell you, this is my first job ever at a hospital. My shift started at 3pm. I had to talk to the Nurse Mgr. first off so I could sign some forms, etc. Then she called the lady that is going to help me get aquainted with the system and how the floor runs. So, she introduces us and first thing we get called into a room by the nurse to help her with something. So, I'm walking down the hall wondering what it could be, maybe she needs help turning the patient or something. I walk in the room and the patient has passed away! What are the odds that on my very first day at my very first hospital job that my very first patient would be, well would be no longer??? Honestly, people, really?? Don't get me wrong, it was very sad and I am a very compassionate person, but I still can't get over the fact of the "very first" thing. Could this be an omen? Is my nursing career over before it's even really started? I certainly hope not!
After that, we had a code red in the ER! For those of you that don't know, a code red is a fire. The firetrucks came, the police came with sirens blaring. Well, come to find out one of the employees had decided to make some popcorn and kind of burnt it. The smoke had set off the fire alarms which in turn notified the fire department. Someone from the ED came outside to meet them and let them know it was a false alarm. Okay everyone THAT is funny! I couldn't help myself. I couldn't stop laughing! Maybe I was just so relieved that it wasn't me that burnt the popcorn! LOL
The rest of the night went okay. I now have a new respect for nursing assistants. Respect them, they (we) deserve it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home