The Life Of A Student Nurse....

Friday, December 01, 2006

Update

The hospital called me Wednesday afternoon and offered me the nursing assistant position! I am so excited. Not only for the fact of gaining TONS of experience but also for the extra money. Although, I was a little disappointed due to the fact that it takes forever to actually start working! I had no idea I would have to jump through so many hoops to start working. I'm sure all the people out here in blog world that already work in a hospital environment know what I'm talking about. It's very frustrating! I was hoping to be able to get at least one paycheck before Christmas, but it looks like that will not happen. Orientation doesn't even start until the 21st of December! Oh, well. I guess Christmas will come later for my family.

As I was talking with the HR guy yesterday, it was as if he was trying to talk me into working full time. He kept mentioning the tuition reimbursement the hospital offers and it's only available to employees that work at least 32 hours a week. I don't know if I can work full time and go to nursing school. I know there are some people in my class that do, but I'm old! Well, not THAT old, but still. I've got A's in all my classes so far, but will I be able to keep that up if I work fulltime?

I'll have to talk to the nursing director later on and maybe she will let me try it out for a while.

1 Comments:

  • You will learn more on the job as a nurse aide than you will ever learn in nursing school.

    I worked full-time while going to school. It was effing hell. But I learned how to please my nursing professors, from all the actual nurses I worked with, and I angled into an ICU monitor-tech/secretary/aide job too. Learned lots there.

    And I trained for the Boston Marathon on my hours off. Heck yes you can do it.

    Go for it. Make money. Learn. Be yourself.

    By the way I was a rather sucky marathoner, but that would have been guilding the lily, no?!

    By Blogger shrimplate, at Saturday, December 30, 2006 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home